August 27, 2026
Who Was Rev. Kruse?
Author
He was our longest-serving pastor (43 years!). He started serving St. Lucas at the beginning of its second year and really got things rolling.
Samuel A. Kruse (1858 - 1944) was born in Nashville, IL, to immigrants from areas now known as Germany. His father was a German Evangelical pastor who had studied at the educational institution in Marthasville that is now known as Eden Seminary in Webster Groves. After Samuel Kruse’s primary education at a school around Des Peres, MO, he attended Elmhurst College and then followed in his father’s footsteps and studied at Eden Seminary for four years. After his ordination in 1880, he was assigned to pastor a frontier community in southeastern Nebraska. During those two years, he made a trip home to marry Amalia Mueller, the daughter of Rev. Andreas Mueller, the pastor of Carondelet Church in South St. Louis. Rev. Kruse was happy to accept the call to St. Lucas in 1882, and the young couple returned to an area closer to their families.

They lived off-site for the first year until a parsonage was built in 1883. The pastor and his wife started a family and, eventually, raised six children in the parsonage.
In 1890 St. Lucas built a schoolhouse, and Rev. Kruse was the teacher at the German school, teaching reading, writing, arithmetic, religion and singing five days a week.
In addition to leading worship, pastoring his congregation, and teaching school, Rev. Kruse started up several organizations and many traditions at St. Lucas in those early years. He started the Ladies Aid Society, the Young People’s League, the Mutual Aid Society, and the church choir that he directed.
In HISTORY OF ST. LOUIS COUNTY, MISSOURI, Volume II, published in 1911, it states, “This church was founded in 1880 and when Mr. Kruse took charge there was a membership of thirty-six persons upon the books. The rolls now show one hundred and thirty members, and the church has grown until it has the reputation of being one of the most progressive religious organizations in St. Louis County”.
Upon the occasion of his 40th anniversary celebration at St. Lucas in 1922, it was reported in the Watchman-Advocate newspaper that he had baptized more than 1,100 infants, confirmed more than 700 children, married more than 600 couples, and laid to rest more than 600 individuals. The family membership had grown from 35 to 150. The “original little frame building has been replaced by a stone temple of rock…; a well-equipped school and a roomy parsonage have been added while the weed patch of 1882 has been converted into beautiful park and exceptionally well-tended cemetery”.
An article in the October 5, 1930, St. Louis Globe-Democrat Magazine, states, “If ever there was a cleric whose heart and soul was wrapped up in his work, it is Pastor Kruse. He has enjoyed every hour of it… There is a tremendous amount of things this man has been able to do while attending to the needs of St. Lucas’ congregation.”
In the 43 years that Rev. Kruse served at St. Lucas, he also served on numerous boards of church-related institutions and organizations, particularly the Emmaus Homes and Eden Seminary. He regularly wrote articles in both German and English for local publications and those of the Synod and lectured at the Seminary and at conferences.
Rev. Kruse retired July 26, 1925, for health reasons. Later, treatment for his illness was discovered and his health improved. He remained active at St. Lucas and continued his leadership on the Board of Emmaus Homes. He died December 15, 1944.










